Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Batik Twister Around the World

Sometime close to the beginning of 2012 I decided I was going to put together quilts for Christmas gifts.  I was sidetracked for about five weeks sewing baby layette items and of course a quilt for our new grandbaby.  So far, so good. I have two flimsy's to share today and one on the design wall and of course am still working on that T-shirt quilt :).  
This Batik Twister is for my sister and her hubby.  I don't have to worry about any of them seeing these because they do not read my blog.  Several years ago I won a drawing at my quilt guild and won lots of fat quarter batiks.  I really just didn't know what I wanted to do with them until I started seeing these twister quilts.  I think I will name this September in the Rain.  It is a nice sized lap quilt for their living room which she has decorated in very warm fall colors.
I should have taken a few close-up shots, the colors in this flimsy are so vibrant, it looks so pretty, maybe after it is quilted I will get some better shots. 
Next is my first trip around the world ala Eleanor Burns.  I just love her books because everything is step by step instructions and so easy to follow.  This fabric also came from my stash.  I had a little trouble with one of the greens, I don't know if I measured wrong or if the fabric stretched, but during construction had to readjust at that one square.  This flimsy will be a gift for my brother and sister-in-law.  Their living room is done in soft green and blues, so I think this will be a good couch cuddle quilt for them.

I don't know if I will quilt these myself or not, I might have to send at least one of them to the longarmers if I run short of time.  Sneak peak of design wall

If I show more you will guess the pattern - ? This will be the wedding quilt for my daughter and dear SIL, I hope to have this done by Christmas too.  Their colors were red and brown and they don't know I am making this, they have been married for two going on three  years now so it will be a surprise for them. 
This year feels more productive - I think making the lists and trying to keep written documentation of what I am working on each week has kept me focused.  It is a good feeling.   Gotta go - work tomorrow.  Adios  Bernie




2 comments:

  1. Love those quilts and the fabrics too. I can't wait to see more of that brown and red one. I've been wanting to make one in those colors.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bernie. Great quilts. I love batiks. And, have made the Eleanor Burns pattern. Loved that it wasn't all seam matching like a traditional trip quilt. be well. Lane

    ReplyDelete