Sunday, September 12, 2010

Labor Day doings and Quilt Class

Well, last weekend was pretty peaceful.  We never did make it to the Kid's Day Parade due to some misinformation, but the kids did go to the State Fair and we had a nice barbecue and the evenings found me sitting outside on the porch watching my granddaughters jump rope and shoot hoops.  OH yes, the tooth fair pillow was a big hit with my GD! We even had a little sewing time together and they got to sew on "gramma's big machine" with gramma sitting right next to them of course. 
I have been in a strong high energy mode for several weeks now (what gives?) and have several projects going.  I have managed to keep up with the quilt along, doing my practice pieces as instructed.  I put together several more practice quilt sandwiches and am going to experiment with what I want to put on the Halloween quilt (which is all pin basted and ready to go). How is everyone else coming along? I see that Erin is following along, she posted pics of her first exercises and they look great.  http://vesuviusmama.blogspot.com/
I spent most of Thursday and Friday evening getting ready for the Square in a Square quilt class I signed up for months ago through my quilt guild.  I am here to tell you I am so pleased with this method.  We had a lot of fun in class, but best of all I felt I really came away with a good product and great results.  I had purchased the special ruler and a book years ago at a quilt show after watching a demo, only to get it home and not really understanding what to do and to lazy to figure it out - so - the ruler and book were put away in my ruler basket and there they sat until I heard about this class.  Our teacher's name was Cyndi McChesney and she gave us a LOT of information in six hours time.  I have known Cyndi for a few years.  I met her when I went looking for a longarm quilter to do some of my tops.  She has her own longarm business and I have been really happy with the tops she has quilted for me.  Long story short -
I would never have attempted these stars on my own.  I am so tickled with this I have to share. From this


To this

and finally this

It still needs to be sandwiched and quilted of course, so this will be another piece I will use for the quilt along. :) More pics of the class in a few days.  Just wanted to share before bed.  Hope you all had a great weekend. Bernie

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time with your grands. I really like your purple and green stars--they look just perfect! Are you going to FMQ it yourself? Show us when it's finished, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a striking color combination! It turned out really beautiful! Isn't it good to learn something new?
    Grandkids are such a blessing. They're just so much fun.

    ReplyDelete