Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snap Happy Bags & Single Digit winter

Had a little trouble getting into blogger to update, had the thought that everyone is on their computers because of the bitter cold weather we are having across the country.  February 1st - today is my oldest DGD birthday.  Happy Birthday Arianna! My little sweetie! and Valentines Day is this month. My DS was born on Valentines Day and he is a real sweetheart.  My favorite cousin's birthday is the 4th.  This particular February 1st is one of the coldest I can remember.  It is frigid. The high today was 5 degrees and tomorrow more of the same.  Brrrrr. So I made a  nice cuppa Earl Gray tea and sit here to share a few pics. 
Lets talk about Snap Happy bags.  They have made the rounds on several blogs I have read and so of course when I saw the pattern at a local quilt shop I purchased it.  I  tried to sew one without the pattern and it turned out okay, but thought with the pattern I would get better results. 
  The white one with red circles was my own attempt without a pattern.  Then came the blue/red red/blue.  Last is the larger green/brown combo.  These are very cute bags, all kinds of ideas come to mind for different sizes, sunglasses case, cell phone, make-up, etc.  You can't tell from the pictures, but two of the bags have the measuring tape inserted the wrong way.  Don't ask me how I managed that, honestly I must have checked it ten times before sewing it down.  The tabs are oversized and I still managed to not get them in the seam tight enough to hold when used to pull the bag apart.  Also, my bags are not "sealing" as closely as I want them to.  I am going to try to cut the tape shorter and maybe inserting the lining separately to eliminate the inner seam.  Maybe the problem is the quality of the measuring tape which I purchased at the dollar store.  I examined my husband's measuring tape and it is obviously made of a better quality metal, a bit thicker which would give a better "snap".   But I think he would notice if I cut up his good measuring tape so I will have to invest in a good one at the hardware store to try that theory.  Both of my DD's thought they were pretty neat and requested I make them one in more "fashionable" fabric. LOL.   I have been working on the tshirt band quilt and now have 20 tops, cut, squared and fused.  I have been taking pictures and hope to put a tutorial up when it is complete.  Stay warm people.  adios, Bernie

No comments:

Post a Comment