Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thimble Thursdays, Yo-Yo Along, and Blue Tote in Progress

I have added two new buttons on my sidebar - one of them links you to Penny's blog, Sewtakeahike and her Yo-Yo along with counter! Neat idea and fun blog.  I had to grab it just to start counting my yo-yo's.  I started making them just because - they are kind of addictive - now I feel like everytime a put together a few and tuck them in their little tin, its like saving pennies! Ha! The little "yo-yo counter" is cool.  I think you could also use it to count blocks for a quilt, etc.  Thank you Penny.  
If you check out Kathy at Shawkl, she has put out some really neat thimbles for embroidery.  She also has lots and lots of other neat stuff and a very pretty blog.  I have been wanting to attempt embroidery and these little thimbles got me motivated.  Not so much detail I will get lost, a manageble size.  I am four months behind what she has posted, but think I can make progress with these. If put together for a miniature quilt top I think I could showcase a collection of souvineer lapel pins I currently have stuck in an old sunhat. You know, I don't do handsewing or handwork, but ever since I started those yo-yo's I have realized how soothing it is, we will see if branching out to embroidery catches on with me. :)
Last weekend I spent some time in my sewing room putting together a tote (modifying a pattern I had previously used) Remember this
Nice enough, but I wanted something smaller, with pockets inside and ties on the side so it wasn't saggy, baggy when empty. So I cut back on the number of 5" squares (actually used 4 1/2" squares because that is what I had in scraps) and added some pockets and a zipper.  This is what I have done so far - hope to finish up Friday night.  I put the zipper in the lining on one side and pockets on the other.  I used a light weight interfacing on the lining and stacked up the exterior on a very thin poly batting.  I will quilt it and then put together the exterior and lining. 

Adios.  Bernie

1 comment:

  1. Bernie, You were no reply so I"m answering you here. That bag pattern is SO easy! You would have no problem at all making it. I gave a link to the pattern in an earlier post.

    ReplyDelete